I’ve stayed at nearly every hotel on Sunset strip, and most of them are pretty unique in their own way. The Andaz West Hollywood stands out for being the most modern and updated of the properties on the strip, and whenever someone asks for a recommendation for something modern this is where I send them.
The lobby is clean and small, with an open check-in concept that Andaz is known for. This means that there is no large check-in front-desk with employees standing at the ready. Instead, there’s a few laptops on some unassuming desks located next to refreshments and couches. The feel that this is supposed to connote is one of casualness and modernity. It does the job.
The hotel itself is a smaller property, but that’s because the Andaz believes that this property is all about the location around it and they don’t expect you to spend a lot of time within the hotel. There is a restaurant on the side of the lobby, which is beautiful, but rather expensive. It’s not a bad place to grab a bite, but I would recommend checking out everything else that Los Angeles has to offer – it IS the foodie capital of the US.
The reason you come to this hotel, though is because the service is good, the rooms have beautiful floor to ceiling windows with breathtaking views, and there’s a very cool rooftop pool with expansive views of the surrounding Hollywood Hills, Downtown LA, and sometimes when there’s not so much smog – views all the way to the Pacific.
- One of the only modern hotels on Sunset strip
- The views from the rooms and rooftop pool are pretty fantastic
- Walking distance to everything in the area (and there’s a lot)
- There’s not a lot to the hotel itself, it’s a small property
- This is a place you want to stay at during the summer months or when it’s hot in LA, because otherwise the rooftop pool and lounge is otherwise pretty useless
THINGS TO DO IN THE AREA:
- This is Sunset strip, which means you are within walking distance to some pretty legendary bars and restaurants. Check out the lounge at Chateau Marmont, it’s cheeky and hip and always “in”.
- Walk over to the Rock & Reilly’s bar if you want a cool place to have a drink and watch a game. This bar also has an incredible selection of whiskeys (Go figure – it’s an Irish pub)